My September 14, 2007 post was on nonprofit board performance . An important context for the article was the book Good Enough . . . Isn’t Enough by Alan Weiss, PhD. Dr. Weiss kindly commented on my post. This drove me to review his website. What I found was a treasure trove of great resources.
In particular, I discovered an outstanding keynote speech that he delivered to senior healthcare consultants entitled Tools for Change: The 1% Solution. This speech is available as an audio file for those with Microsoft Media Player (most computers already have this application). I encourage you to listen to this great speech. The link is here.
He makes some excellent points including:
- If you improve your operation by 1% each day, in 70 days you are twice as good
- Our organizational mindsets are far too often focused on training rather than educating and empowering employees
- The moment of truth for any organization (forget about the aphrodisiac of written mission statements) appears on the frontlines
- Innovation is right under your nose – in your employees who are too often harness by foolish restrictions and trapped at the bottom of organizational triangles that would make Frederick Taylor proud
- Effective leaders are personal role models of change. It doesn’t matter what you say; it matters what you do.
To listen to his speech (about 20 minutes), simply click here. If you computer tells you that you don’t have the application (Windows Media Player) needed to listen to the presentation, click here to download the application. Then click on the audio link above.
Also, don’t miss Dr. Weiss’ excellent website here. The site also has an RSS service.