The Indiana University Center on Philanthropy recently revealed the tops reasons why lapsed donors quit donating.
What is particularly important is to notice that 50 percent of these reasons are within your control. Therefore, manage these potential pitfalls. It’s much easier to keep a donor, than to find a new one:
- Feeling other causes were more deserving (27%)
- No long able to afford support (22%)
- No memory of supporting the charity (11%)
- Donor supporting charity by other means (7%)
- Donor relocated (7%)
- Death of donor (5%)
- Charity’s communications were inappropriate (4%)
- Charity didn’t remind donors to give again (3%)
- Charity asked for an inappropriate amount (3%)
- Charity didn’t inform donor how contribution was used (2%)
Are you doing all you can to keep your donors aware of what you are doing with their donations?